Traditionally, Bajan Pound Cake, also referred to as Plain Cake, was a staple in Barbadian households. Every Bajan has fond memories of their grandmothers and mothers in the kitchen preparing this cake, especially around festive times such as Christmas. The sweet aroma of pound cake coming from the oven leaves mouths watering in anticipation and nothing is better than eating a slice fresh out the oven.
Pound cake typically has few ingredients but this does not take away from its delicious taste which everyone loves!
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat with grease and flour respectively.
- Mix butter and sugar together until they appear fluffy.
- Add eggs and continue mixing.
- Begin adding the flour and baking powder and continue mixing.
- Add 1 cup of milk and mix.
- The mixture will start to appear like dough. Add remaining cup of milk.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and mix.
- Pour into coated pans.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Check with a toothpick after 45 minutes, as this time may vary.)
For an added twist, try mixing in raisins and cherries to the mixture before you place it into the pans.
Are you hungry? Try our recipe and let us know how much you enjoyed it!